Have you ever spent some time exploring the very scenic Hunter region only two hours north of Sydney?
If you haven’t, you should seriously go and spend some time there. Whether it’s for a day trip, or to book yourself a lovely overnight stay somewhere to enjoy more hours driving and exploring this beautiful part of norther New South Wales, trust me, you will be rewarded if you take the time to go.
And, with it being not that far from Sydney. Anyone can seriously take the time to go there. If you don’t have a car, you can hire one for the day and self-drive yourself. Or even chat to your local tourist agent and see if there is an overnight coach tour from Sydney.
I do highly recommend going in either autumn or winter though, as the landscape in the Hunter region is seriously transformed into a magical place. But don’t take my word for it, here are some pics to show you what I mean.
These photos were localised to once specific area of the Hunter, imagine what you could do exploring the whole region.
Here’s a list of some of my favourite things to do in the Hunter Valley:
- The wineries: The Hunter Region is filled with them, all sharing a wonderful selection of delicious wines, ports and more to try.
- The Hunter Valley Gardens: These gardens are huge so do be prepared with a good set of walking shoes and plenty of time to wander and explore. Inspired by Alice and Wonderland, hidden throughout the rose and herb gardens are statues of characters from the movie.
- Chocolate and Coffee: Hidden throughout all the wineries there are also a wide selection of countryside cafes selling some of the best local homemade chocolate and locally grown coffee. YUM!
- Take the Back Road: Ditch the main road and take the back road, you will be surprised at every turn, by what you discover.
- Stay at a B&B: They really are the best way to meet the locals and enjoy a more intimate travel experience. Most local B&B in the area also serve up foods locally sourced too, so it’s a great way to test out the local produce of fresh foods and beautifully crafted wines too.